The last 2 weeks have flown by! We’re still waiting on spring to show up- but hey my mulberry trees came in the mail today, so at least Gurney’s thinks that spring is coming. The foot and a half of snow in our front yard can make it’s exit any time now.
On to our frugal happenings. My fab husband has been picking up way more extra hours than I have at our second job. I’ve just been plain pooped out lately. This has allowed us to stay on track for having a stellar debt repayment month. Here’s what we managed:
- I brought our blind cat to the vet and she recommended some treats and stuff to sprinkle on his food as he’s had a lot of problems with his mouth lately ($$$), they have a great policy and allow you to return opened packages if you don’t end up using them or the pet doesn’t like them- the cat LOVES the treats, but I checked my receipt and they were $60 between the 2 items I bought!!! Granted, you only give them 2 treats a day so it was a 3 month supply but STILL. I went on amazon and they were $20 for BOTH a savings of $40. So the ones I purchased from the vet will be going right back where they came from. I like to support local businesses, but I cannot fathom a $40 mark up.
- I fixed our dishwasher! One of our lovely children fell and sat on the dishwasher door when it was open and it bent it waayy out of shape. We had a system rigged up that kind of worked leaning heavy things against it to keep it shut and in a moment of rage at our stupid system I pushed the door back into place and it worked! I had already tried it before but I think I was being too gentle. I’m so happy about it because we’ve already paid $175 this year to fix the dang thing AND it’s our second dishwasher in 6 years so I really really didn’t want to have to replace it.
- I’ve continued on our cleaning frenzy and was able to get rid of even more stuff. I’m realizing that I’ve been more successful this time around because I have a place to put groupings of items. We have a dump pile, a random cords box etc. There will definitely be a second go through of some of this stuff, but all like items are grouped together and the husband know specifically which pile is going to the dump.
- We got our electric bill and it went way way down, so my unplugging things and being more aware of what we’re using is having an impact. In the next couple of weeks we’ll be able to start hanging laundry outside again and that always has a positive effect.
- I took out a ham to defrost. I bought this ham at rock bottom prices at least 6 months ago and it’s been waiting in our deep freezer. We invited my parents over and will probably follow the plans outlined in this post. That will get us almost to the end of the month woot!
Next post will be my frugal state of the union and the kick off of our April no spend month! I’m looking forward to it!